This quick and simple dish uses a flavourful warm tomato salad to dress up scallops without overwhelming their delicate taste. This dish can be served with slices of crusty baguette and the salad may be garnished with petals of Parmigiano Reggiano. - EJ
8 Large Scallops (Shelled)
2 Tbsp Mild to Medium Evoolution Extra Virgin Olive Oil (with low FFA)
1 Tbsp Butter
1 Tsp Salt
½ Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
¼ Tsp Peri Peri Seasoning (available in-store, or use cayenne seasoning as a substitute)
Warm Tomato Salsa:
2 Roma Tomatoes (diced)
1 Tbsp Evoolution Extra Virgin Olive Oil (with low FFA)
4 Large Basil Leaves (Chopped)
1 Large Garlic Clove (Chopped)
1/2 Shallot (Minced)
2 Tbsp Evoolution Traditional 18 Year Dark Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper
1. Dry thawed scallops with paper towels under and over them for 20 mins, changing paper towels halfway through.
2. In a small sandwich bag, combine salt, pepper, and spice. Shake thoroughly, mixing the ingredients together. Place the now finished seasoning in a small bowl/container.
3. Add olive oil to the skillet and heat until just before it starts to smoke.
4. While preheating the skillet, season the upper side of the scallops by lightly dusting them with the seasoning.
6. Add scallops seasoned side down and season the undersides. Turn Scallops over after 75-90 seconds.
7. 45 seconds after turning, add butter and baste over scallops.
8. Take scallops out of the heat and plate.
1. Preheat small saucepan over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
2. Add garlic and shallots and fry until starting to brown.
3. Add tomatoes and preseason with salt and pepper.
4. Add balsamic vinegar and evenly coat ingredients.
5. Add basil when tomatoes start to break down and remove from heat.
6. Correct Seasoning.
7. Spoon over Scallops.
Can be served with slices of crusty baguette.
The dish pictured his garnished with petals of Parmigiano Reggiano