Delicate walnut oil enriches the dough of these aromatic buns filled with brown sugar, chopped walnuts and sweet cinnamon. Floral lavender balsamic rounds out a tangy cream cheese frosting for good measure. Start them the night before and pop them in the oven in the morning to make any breakfast a special occasion! - Rachel P.
1 ¾ cup warm water
1 tsp. active dry yeast
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
4 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. salt
½ cup Evoolution Roasted French Walnut Oil
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts
450g cream cheese (2 packets), at room temperature
¼ cup Evoolution Lavender Balsamic Vinegar
2 cups powdered sugar
1. In the bowl of a mixer with a dough hook, combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. Allow to sit for 5 minute until yeast dissolves.
2. Add the salt and a quarter of the flour. Turn the mixer on low and add the rest of the flour in intervals until the dough comes together in a shaggy mass. At this point, slowly stream in the walnut oil and mix until combined.
3. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes, until smooth, then turn the dough into a well-oiled bowl. Cover with a damp towel and leave to rise for 90 minutes, or until doubled in size.
4. Mix all of the filling ingredients together and set aside.
5. Punch down the dough when it’s ready, and pat it out into a large rectangle (no thinner than ¼ inch). Spoon the filling all over the dough, leaving a one-inch border at one long end. Carefully roll the dough up, starting at the long end, as tightly as possible. Slice into 15 equal portions.
6. Grease a 9x13 baking pan and place the buns in, pinching the bottom of each so the filling doesn’t leak out and burn. Let rise for about an hour until nicely puffed before baking at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until nicely browned. Alternatively, let rise slowly in the refrigerator overnight and bake them in the morning.
7. Whip the cream cheese with the balsamic vinegar, then the powdered sugar. When the buns have cooled, spread the frosting over them and serve.